Sara’s Fine Art
Providing a holistic approach to transforming your home with contemporary fine art and handmade artisan creations from Truckee Tahoe artist, Sara Zimmerman.
You can view a gallery by clicking on the links below, or selecting from the Main Menu above. Many original artworks are available for sale as open and limited edition reproductions and prints. Please Contact Sara for more information and pricing, or visit Sara’s shop at Fine Art America to purchase prints.
- Commissions and Pet Portraits – Commissioned works.
- Collaborative – Collaborative, mixed media works.
Click here to shop for art prints »
About Sara Zimmerman
Sara Zimmerman is a contemporary fine artist, born and raised in California. Sara gained inspiration from the expressive art of her late grandmother, pioneer courtroom artist for the Associated Press and oil painter, Rosalie Ritz. Sara studied at the University of California, Santa Cruz, where she received a Bachelor’s of Arts in Environmental Studies with an emphasis on science interpretation through art. Her detailed works and science illustrations have been featured in magazines, nature preserve proposals, state park brochures and signage, catalog covers, and more, including work for Budweiser’s Save Our Surf campaign, Patagonia’s Watergirl division, Sunset State Beach, and Moss Landing Marine Labs.
Since then, Sara has expanded her illustrations and fine art to acrylic and mixed media techniques, bringing vivid colors and movement onto small canvases, mid-sized works on reclaimed woods, and large-tapestry artworks created on raw, unstretched canvases. From detailed, abstract landscapes to textured, twisted cityscapes and gritty designs, Sara has sold over two-thirds of her artwork to collectors, including celebrities, around the world.
In addition to fine art, Sara continues to expand her expressive avenues through writing, comics, music, and by being involved in contemporary media design. She has successfully ran her own boutique web and graphic design firm (SaraZimmerman.net) with her husband for over a decade, as well as owned/operated the first women’s surf shop (Paradise Surf Shop) in Northern California. Sara has been on CNN and NPR, has an internet following of over 200,000 fans for her webcomic Unearthed Comics, for which she has published several books and travels to signings and comic conventions, and has had both her comics and writing featured on Huffington Post, Upworthy, and Forbes. Additionally, Sara is a mother of a wonderful daughter and has played drums in her talented husband’s band, Rob Zimmerman and the Last Levee, for over a decade. When not creating, Sara and her family are often rock climbing or doing some sort of board sport near their home in Lake Tahoe.
Sara Zimmerman’s Artist Statement:
Becoming a mom and wife made me realize what really matters in life and identify my feelings. Being a graphic/web designer and illustrator has me constantly looking for new colors, trends, patterns and witnessing how people see the world. Being a cartoonist and writer has taught me how to search for the good in the bad. Being an outdoor enthusiast and lover of all things natural, makes me appreciate nature in art. Combining these influences has me creating work from my heart and integrating components of my life around me.
Select Art Exhibits and Events:
- 2013: “Tahoe Macro and Micro,” Riverside Studios, Truckee.
- 2012: “Tropical Sierras,” Uncorked at Squaw, Truckee.
- 2012: “Tropical Sierras,” Cottonwood Restaurant, Truckee.
- 2012: “Healing” artworks, Riverside Studios, Truckee.
- 2012: “Woman in Raw,” Uncorked, Truckee.
- 2011: My Collaborative artworks done with Party of 3 members on display at Riverside Studios, Truckee.
- 2010-11: “Fall to Winter” series and open edition prints at Dragonfly Cuisine, Truckee, CA.
- 2010-11: “Woman in Raw” series at Full Circle Movement, Truckee, CA.
- 2010: “Discovery and Awareness” at Riverside Studios, Truckee, CA.
- 2010: “Truckee Exposed” group show at Truckee Recreation Center in Truckee, CA
- 2010: “Truckee Through My Eyes” originals at Elijah Bleu’s Coffeehouse in Truckee, CA.
- 2009-10: “Woman in Raw” series and open edition prints at Dragonfly Cuisine, Truckee, CA.
- 2008: Visiting artist on display at Ethos Gallery in the Village at Northstar, Truckee, CA
- 2008: Riverside Studios- exhibited throughout the year
- 2008: Modern Regional Art group show at Carole Sesko Contemporary Art in Truckee, CA
- 2007: “Collaboration,” by Party of 3 group show, Catherine Bouwer Fine Art Gallery, Reno, NV
- 2007: Solo show at The Lodge in Tahoe Donner in Truckee, CA
- 2007: Truckee-Tahoe Modern Regional Art exhibit at Carole Sesko Contemporary Art, Truckee, CA
- 2007: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region (juried)
- 2007: Solo show at Alexander’s Main Street Gallery in Pleasanton, CA.
- 2006: “Collaboration,” by Party of 3 group show, Carole Sesko Contemporary Art, Truckee, CA
- 2006: “Abstract and Surrealism” group show at Alexandratos Gallery, Reno, NV
- 2006: Squaw Valley Art, Wine, and Music Festival, Olympic Valley, CA
- 2006: “Reno is Artown” exhibit at Dreamer’s Coffeehouse, Reno, NV
- 2006: Solo show at Cottowood Restaurant in Truckee, CA
- 2006: “Spiritual Exhibition” Group show at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2006: Solo show at Dragonfly Cuisine in Truckee, CA
- 2006: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region
- 2006: Solo show at the Corison Gallery at the North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: “Members’ Invitational Group Exhibit” (juried) at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: “Autumn’s Bounty” (juried) group show at North Tahoe Arts, Tahoe City, CA
- 2005: ARTour Open Studios juried event in the Lake Tahoe Region (juried)
- 2002: “UCSC Graduate Students’ Exhibit” (juried) at the Santa Cruz Natural History Museum, CA
- 2001: “Plants, Pests & Pollinators” (juried) group exhibit at San Francisco’s Stribing Arboretum, CA
- 1998: “Surf’s Up” (juried) group exhibit at Pajaro Vally Art Museum, Watsonville, CA
Affiliations and Networks
- Art Shop and Prints
- Facebook Fan Page
- Writing for Huffington Post
- Unearthed Comics
- Sara’s Instagram
- Rob’s Instagram
- Linked In
- Google Business
- Blog feed via RSS
Press and Publicity
- Tahoe Daily Tribune
- Tahoe Action
- Tahoe Bonanza
- Truckee Tahoe Today
- Reno Gazette Journal
- Tahoe Area Mountain Culture
- Sierra Sun
- Moonshine Ink
- Tahoe World/ Action
- North Tahoe Arts ARTalk
- Truckee Tahoe This Week
Commissioned Works Testimonials
“After Googling for a Tahoe artist, I lucked out in meeting up with Sara. It is very rare to meet such a talented artist who is also a web designer and marketing expert, and a really nice person who was always cheerful and very willing to listen and make changes. In spite of juggling many other projects, she made me feel that I was her only client. Never did I wait for a reply to my emails. Not only is Sara good at what she does, but she’s quick and thorough. Having seen some of the Tahoe maps that Sara had done for other clients, I asked her to do a map that was both accurate and whimsical for my daughter’s wedding invitation and to be screen printed on a canvas bag to be given as a Welcome Bag to our wedding guests. I couldn’t be more pleased with the results – definitely exceeded my expectations. The maps are both beautiful and useful. Sara also gave me accurate estimates of the costs and immediately informed me if any additional costs would be incurred by her or the vendors that were used for this project. It was a total pleasure to work with Sara.”
~Val Maczek Truckee, CA
“I commissioned Sara to paint a portrait of our dog for a present for my husband. After seeing her dog portraits in Truckee Book and Bean, I decided that I had to have my very own! Sara was very easy to work with, and after giving her a few photos of our dog, she had completed a wonderful painting in less than a week. Everyone that has seen our portrait of “Tola” has absolutely loved it and the quality of Sara’s work. In fact, I was so impressed with Sara that I asked her to do some work for the organization that I work for.”
~ Emily Williams, Truckee, CA
“Our home is filled with Sara Zimmerman’s exclusive art, including pieces we commissioned specifically. We knew Sara was the right artist for a set we wanted and when we presented Sara with our idea, she immediately saw the same vision we did. She created what we had asked for using mixed media and in the colors we wanted to highlight. We are enthusiasts for Sara’s works: some realism, some impressionism, some whimsy, some fantastical and all fine art. Sara’s commissioned pieces are given highlighted positioning in our home and we receive many compliments about them.”
~ Misty Young, Truckee, CA
“Sara did an amazing job on the belly mask i asked her to paint for me. I feel so fortunate to have Sara’s beautiful artwork on such an important piece in our home. Thanks again Sara, you are amazing!!!”
~ Ami Vannoy, Truckee, CA
“The Squaw painting looks great, and it will be a regular reminder of Tahoe and skiing at Squaw. I plan to frame it and hang it prominently. Thanks!”
~ J.D., Washington, DC